Wednesday, April 15, 2015

on limitations


Recently in our small group we talked about limitations-- about how part of the experience of being human is to have limits. We can't do all the things we want to do.  We're limited by time, by physical and emotional needs, etc.  But for whatever reason, we have this insatiable desire to do everything, to excel in everything. We feel like we need to make ourselves busy, because in doing more, we'll get ahead (or at least we'll feel really good about how much we're doing--because busyness is next to godliness, right???).

However, after weeks and months of underlying anxiety as I run through mental to-do lists, and discouragement at the end of every day when I inevitably fail or come up short in one way or another (or sometimes in every way), I cannot ignore that I have limits.

The Lord has been kindly reminding me that my limitations are actually by His design.

It's funny how I tend to believe things about God in theory but not let my heart really rest in their truth.  For instance: I "know" that I have a deep, abiding need for God. I "know" that he desires for me to acknowledge this need, that he desires to help me, showing himself strong and good and glorious in my life.  But I often live as though I am expected to do everything with perfect ease, on my own.

I'm thankful to know a God who has not left me on my own, who lets me know when I am relying on myself rather than running to him in my weakness.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. -2 Corinthians 12:9

My desires to perform well in my job and school, to be a good wife/daughter/sister/friend, or to improve in discipline are not wrong, but the fact that I don't always measure up is a constant reminder of my need for God.  I'm learning to be thankful for my limitations and my weakness, so that the power of Christ may be made more evident in my life.  I'm learning what rest looks like in light of these truths.

I read this yesterday and am adopting it as my prayer too: "give me grace to know more my need of grace...reveal to me my weakness that I may know my strength in thee." (The Valley of Vision)



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!